Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Half-Korean? =)

Happy Wednesday!=)
Woo-hoo~!
I'm so happy today!
Went to Shine Korea supermarket at Burlington Square just now to get ingredients to make Ddeokbbokki, or Korean rice cake, and Pa-Jeon, or Korean Pancake.
*HAHAH!*
Saw the recipes in U-weekly, and they look soooo easy to make, so I decided to give it a try.
Been wanting to know what rice cake tastes like for ages! Hehs.
I even went to Sol Mart at Tamp1, but it was out of stock. :(
Anyway, Shine Korea is like a mini-Korea supermarket. Almost everything is imported from Korea!
I almost went berserk (in a happy way) while shopping there...hahah!
With the help of the friendly staff, I managed to get what I want: Korean chili powder, beef seasoning powder, and of course, rice cake and pancake mix.
And they're quite cheap, too! (as compared to Sol Mart.)
Spent quite a long time admiring some of the products, when suddenly something amusing and flattering happened. To me. Hee.
I was admiring the different types of tea beverages (all look so appealing!) when suddenly this Indian man, who was holding onto a packet of Korean ramyun (or instant noodles, in layman's term), spoke to me.
IDR, waving the packet: "Is this maggie mee?"
Me, stared at it: "Ah yes,", took a step away from him and went back to doing what I was doing, hoping he wouldnt disturb me anymore.
Apparently, that did not happen cos he kept asking me questions, like, "Is it nice? You eat before? Maggie mee, right?"
Frankly speaking, I'm a bit wary of him cos he had this 'teasing' look on his face while he kept bugging me and my mum.
I was about to shoot him one of my most tulan looks when he suddenly popped this question:
"You Korean?"
Stunned... and then...
*WOOTS!*
He thought I'm a Korean!!!
*muahahah!*
And then my disgust of him vanished almost completely (though I'm still wary).
"Oh, no lah!"
That's it.
I've made it clear that I'm a Singaporean.
As if it's not enough, my mum went on to add, "We're Singaporeans!" like she's very proud of it.
*rolls eyes*
Whatever! Someone thinks I'm a Korean! *muahahah*
Can seriously die of happiness!
I was mistaken for a Myanmese and a zhong guo ren before can! Like, wth?!
So imagine my happiness when someone (even if it's IDR) thinks I'm from Korea!
It's amusing and flattering, isnt it???
Hee hee.
Anyway, the zhong dian is, I finally got all the ingredients and I couldnt wait to get home and start cooking!
But then my mother wanna go to this office at SingPost to look at some health care products.
Recently she's into Melaleuca (i think it's spelt like this), an American company that sells health supplements and all sorts of products ranging from body wash to facial care to detergents.
And she kept bugging me to visit the office with her. Tsk tsk. Not really interesting so I'm going to fast forward a little and...tada! We were back at home.
I had a go at cooking my first Korean dish, and it turned out...damn salty. But generally, it was good! Hehs.
The rice cake was really chewy but tasteless, so it was all about the sauce. Too bad it was too salty. But hey! It was my first try! I shall make it to perfection soon. *determined look*
(Note: the picture below is NOT my masterpiece. I just randomly googled it and thought I'd show it to tempt your taste buds and feed your knowledge so you know what ddeokbbokki looks like.)
Going to make the pancake, or Pa-Jeon, tomorrow, which looks something like this:
Hah!
So I am a happy little girl now.
And I'd be even happier cos I'm going to have Bibimbap for dinner at my fave Korean restaurant (at the moment) later!
Oh, in case u dunno,this is bibimbap, or shi guo fan:

Gosh, this post is so Korea-ish.

So to make it even more Korea-ish, I figured out the best way to end this post is to include a picture of the hottest namja (man/male in Korean) at the moment...

Till then...=)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home